[Infovis] IEEE VR 2025 - Call for Proposals "XR Gallery"

IEEE VR Publicity ieeevrpublicity at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 23:09:41 CEST 2024

 CALL FOR PROPOSALS *“XR GALLERY”*

*IEEE VR 2025: The 32nd IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality and 3D User
Interfaces*
March 8-12, 2025 | Saint-Malo, France

*Edges of Reality: Questioning the Truthfulness of our Digital Realities*

art2025 at ieeevr.org <%20art2025 at ieeevr.org>
IMPORTANT DATES - ALL DEADLINES ARE ANYWHERE ON EARTH (AOE)

   - *October 31, 2024:*Submission of abstracts.
   - *November 28, 2024:* Notification of acceptance.
   - *February 13, 2025:* Camera-ready version.

OVERVIEW

The desire to replicate reality has been a long-lasting human endeavor.
Images of the earliest cave drawings communicated about the important
aspects of life at the beginning of human civilization. Paintings and
sculptures aspired to capture the natural proportions and beauty of human
form as well as spirit, while cinema made the static images move and
accompany them with sound. In the late 20th century, the unprecedented
speed in digital developments enabled the creation of three-dimensional
worlds, which did not only surround the user, but also respond to their
actions.

Today, we are witnessing a rapid rise of artificial intelligence,
conversational agents, and creative machines, the way reality is perceived
is going through an unprecedented transformation. While offering immense
creative possibilities, those tools also pose significant challenges by
blurring the lines between fact and fiction, truth and fabrication. This
digital storm is reshaping our relationship to facts and history,
confronting our definition of reality, plausibility and realism.
TOPICS AND SCOPE

As part IEEE VR 2025, we are delighted to invite you to the first edition
of the ‘XR Gallery’ fostering bridges between people from the XR and Art
communities through this art exhibition, titled "Edges of Reality:
Questioning the Truthfulness of our Digital Realities". We aim to provoke
creative thought and discussion between artists and researchers around the
question of authenticity and truthfulness of digital experiences. By
bridging the gap between the XR research community and the art world, we
hope to inspire innovative perspectives and foster a deeper understanding
of the complex relationship between technology and reality. Some of the
potential questions which can be explored in this respect are:

   - How do scientific and technological advances confront and alter our
   common senses, changing our own perception of reality and of what is
   possible to imagine
   - Does my behavior change in a plausible simulated environment?
   - Can a software that behaves indistinguishably from a human be
   considered truly real?
   - What distinguishes our actual self from a simulated self constructed
   from our digital traces?
   - What would be the implication of a faithful simulation of an ancestor
   based solely on their private diaries or literary correspondence?
   - ...

The exhibition will primarily focus on interactive XR art installations,
while also welcoming non-XR art installations, such as performances or any
other digital media questioning the nature of reality in our increasingly
digital world.

Accepted submission will be showcased at the dedicated space for the XR
Gallery during the entire duration of the IEEEVR conference, excluding the
days of workshops *(March 8-12 2025, Saint-Malo, France)*. Discussions are
underway to arrange a public exhibition in the days following the
conference.
ELIGIBILITY

The call is open to anyone interested in creating artistic content:
artists, researchers, designers, etc.

The proposed artistic work may be new or already existing.

We will have an important inclusion criterion, and we particularly want to
include the achievements of minorities. If you think you do fit within such
criterions and face issues which prevent you from applying, please do not
hesitate to contact us (see contact email).
SUBMISSION

In order to apply, submit a 1-2 page abstract (in .pdf format see below)
describing your artistic project on the PCS system (
https://new.precisionconference.com/vr
<https://ieeevrpublicity-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/2P3NB3i98_3shC9QEcGCPIUw-x2qrcUQqC5-dMfkA39_6DZTmkAE6ncfL63_SgCTondeEWwSCTIRJVphoU_rMiqcVrQt4RHXvdTrzop12PfEcWd-9H4H3pf--VtoDHfO4Hkpg8Lq3RB21KVWZYO_S2bkDUKM70443IKYO3nuFuZsqw4arWXC1Jlgcvw0>).
The abstract should include:

   - Title of XR Gallery submission
   - A statement of intent providing a brief description of your art
   project and how it addresses the proposed topic of XR Gallery.
   - Representative images of the project
   - The equipment and technical information required for its realization:
   (including light, sound, network needs)
   - The equipment and technical information required for its realization:
      - Preferred space needs (in square meters: height x width x depth)
      - Lighting Requirements and lighting emission (how much light your
      art piece is casting light)
      - Sound Requirements and sound emission
      - Network needs (Prefer a wired network when feasible)
      - Electrical needs
      - Technical needs, setup time, and procedures.
   - our contact informations: full names, affiliation and email address

Supplementary material, such as videos, press kit ... , are also encouraged
to accompany the abstract submission and describe your artistic process.

SELECTION PROCESS

Each submission will be examined by a panel of external assessor from the
digital arts fields and XR research communities, on the basis of the
following criteria:

   - Originality
   - A statement of intent providing a brief description of your art
   project and how it addresses the proposed topic of XR Gallery.
   - Representative images of the project
   - The equipment and technical information required for its realization:
   (including light, sound, network needs)
   - our contact informations: full names, affiliation and email address

ACCEPTED SUBMISSIONS

The art installation will be showcased at the dedicated space for the XR
Gallery during the entire duration of the conference, excluding the days of
workshops (March 8-12 2025, Saint-Malo, France). The authors of the
accepted submissions will receive *support for their accommodation and
monetary compensation: one free full conference registration and €500 (on
invoice)*.
ABSTRACTS AND SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIAL DUE: OCTOBER 31, 2024

The abstract paper and optional supplementary material are to be submitted
via the online submission system: https://new.precisionconference.com/vr
<https://ieeevrpublicity-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/24_SrRNEIPLUaCOQU7QdAgq5ILUIbynsE0I1FRPL9p8D-DZTmkAG03ijlETVyB37YEVZsOL4qIknYgyJLVKn0hZUs3eZA0qJaY_jm_VCrd9tkw9b1dWEWB8x7e4d4ATNHPcqmupsJwgSHLDbYVW-P_5Z37Vfw2BWgLoK3nIINxMzhMFcWm6b64_ReSl0>

Submissions must be in English and must be prepared in the IEEE Computer
Society VGTC format (https://tc.computer.org/vgtc/publications/conference/
<https://ieeevrpublicity-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/2PudqE47E5LZVrNBlPypgp9gG1lVX9eGZZLrs7Q9HTyMEDpTmkAHPzO2kHI_Bk7KTybwc4a0e0AF1wWfoGkz8bSmKB85H2Le0-Lb03Zmy8UefUrbPeTILV0Mw9j9rVntXO-s8GLLiRCpZAMRoH-toDaWnke1n4gljjrxhHk1a7LXu_xgbJ_BWotlU_9Y-PzEc-7q1XlY_>)
and submitted as PDF. We highly encourage authors to use the LaTeX template
(https://github.com/ieeevgtc/vgtc_conference_latex/releases
<https://ieeevrpublicity-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/2vTU_fQ5MtqjZPX0EDvvmjW-BEjnmZpQ6l8jvG1UsZjQIDpTmkAHnVl1UFfeI3TpZpH8L4dl5F45-t9J_piM4rw3-cyRwJXdcD2KhIYB22kK0PUUeFLdGCUD_K0Kaw8704ZKuMbOHOdgaHSGohFsDyHjMbwQIyEc3MIYYB9SXmmZaKTWZrfnMV5obfrn4SN_2i9qw49wWkHCbYApe>
).

Authors unfamiliar with the Latex software can use theirs software of your
choice (Ideally word, template here:
https://github.com/ieeevgtc/vgtc_conference_word/releases/tag/2024.02.14
<https://ieeevrpublicity-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/2f3LPiT0Py3anyFZaN-PhM6Gk3UekkpxaLyKSsO1dKI0QDpTmkAGZTCH8HKtr9GzfhFEAfDO4_urp2hhUjRrgSi8NlqY__im7CI6Z2uYG-M8PFhHWrNUL4RYW9WKkcLxBY3cano3NawxUz8EtDjStnEsTd6EaO5OYcG5WeQnwOBg0SXdcNRQRfhz1vsf58xkt-NLEihVNR9NrFlcb7QgkQ6lGHaN4p3k1OtUg>)
as long as it respects the VGTC format (
https://ieeecs-media.computer.org/tc-media/sites/49/2024/02/26230749/vgtc-conference-24-02.pdf
<https://ieeevrpublicity-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/2owlyQ9TAUwK6fb1xsTv8F3yq8aDQE97dVMX4JSm-PVMWDpTmkAEg0wx4LX78IvQgqbZnqXWeEhIkCPEEPFmGOPyJMDvdb3f4WNq4MldMcwLgQ9N1qtpZbdRQnDhZ8vljftIFs7zXORlUFpt3HMC08sZqwUsNAYyUkgLFStzcmjpggac_L4iq7aPIuMKd5yr4F4eRoDgPj6cg3GxOOF7JEsj8oXLZb4wzv1bsDogkxEdbQoQxEJM96Hn1-UDM8Q>)
and submitted as a PDF.

Authors who are unfamiliar with the formalism expected by our community
will be able to draw inspiration from the essays edited in the *Siggraph
2023 Art Gallery proceeding* (
https://dl.acm.org/doi/proceedings/10.1145/3588428
<https://ieeevrpublicity-dot-yamm-track.appspot.com/21kcsaEha9aNFBdPXyesokLTRuauqH9DDhl1TR7SrzaQbDpTmkAEy2mGAtZQZaQ9qO24B3C2MRzm2E-l4PDToVCpiPDpSX8omQ4Eb43CtjpbxAwZIQVCPsHs-63yY6Bj6w1aLcgtZw0lKwwyekVZM44UtkYOok_gzqv7x29zFM-fr2xo4iAjeCvTp4eD8Dl2B-VR3jnCw08Ixd_IW>
).
CAMERA-READY VERSION DUE: FEBRUARY 13, 2025

For accepted submission, a final version of the note of intent (max 5
pages, VGTC format ) and a promotional video (max 3min) is expected for
public release by the camera-ready deadline (13 February 2025).
CONTACTS
*ART2025 at IEEEVR.ORG*

For more information, please contact us at: art2025 at ieeevr.org
<%20art2025 at ieeevr.org>

   - Remi Cambuzat ‒ *Inria, France*
   - Valérie Gouranton ‒ *IRISA, France*
   - Jüergen Hagler ‒ *Ars Electronica, Austria*
   - Roland Haring ‒ *Ars Electronica, Austria*
   - Katja Zibrek ‒ *Inria, France*

[image: beacon]