[Infovis] PhD Position in Information Visualization at TU Graz

Tobias Schreck tobias.schreck at cgv.tugraz.at
Tue Apr 27 22:32:44 CEST 2021

--------------------------------
PhD Position in Visualization of Health Information
  at Graz University of Technology for 3 Years
--------------------------------

We are looking for a motivated researcher on the PhD student level to
join the Institute of Computer Graphics and Knowledge Visualization at
Graz University of Technology, Austria, in the area of Information
Visualization. The position is within the new Austrian Science Fund
(FWF) research group Human-Centered Interactive Adaptive Visual
Approaches in High-Quality Health Information. In collaboration with
researchers in Medicine and Psychology, we will research new approaches
for visualization of consumer health information, which can adapt to
user profiles and information need. The position is available for
initially three years and with the possibility to develop a PhD thesis
in Computer Science at Graz University of Technology.

Research Context
----------------

Consumer health information systems (CHIS) are indispensable in the
modern healthcare system and fulfill many functions. Current CHIS,
however, are often static and do not adjust to individual information
needs, preferences and abilities  of consumers. In this project we will
research foundations, applications and evaluation of a new class of
adaptive, interactive visual health information systems, called A+CHIS.
The novelty of our project lies in introducing multi-dimensional
adaptivity to the information presentation to users, aiming at a better
personal understanding of the meaning of the provided medical content in
visual form. The new A+CHIS will adapt the kind of information, its
level of detail, and the form of visual presentation to the individual
user context.

Applicant Profile
-----------------

A master degree in computer science, information systems, information
science, telematics, mathematics, or related studies is required. One or
more of the following skills are desired: Knowledge in computer
graphics, information visualization, information retrieval, data bases,
interactive systems, or data analysis. Practical skills in a current
programming language (e.g., Java, C#, Python, Web-based development) are
required. Interest to work in a collaborative research environment with
project partners in Medicine and Psychology is expected.

Position Details and Working Environment

The position is available for initially three years, starting in June
2021 or later. The opportunity to develop a Ph.D. thesis with the
Doctoral School of Computer Science at Graz University of Technology is
provided. The full-time gross salary for this position is, depending on
the employment level, up to 2.971,50 Euro per month (14 times a year),
and includes social insurance.
Our institute offers a creative working atmosphere in a motivated,
cooperative, and technically very well equipped environment. We offer
excellent professional and personal development possibilities. Our
institute is part of the Visual Computing research cluster in Graz,
offering an excellent scientific environment at large. The city of Graz
and its surroundings offer exceptional quality of living.

How to Apply
------------

Please send your application including a letter of motivation, CV and
supporting documents via email to Tobias Schreck,
tobias.schreck at cgv.tugraz.at, or by postal mail to the Institute of
Computer Graphics and Knowledge Visualization, Prof. Dr. Tobias Schreck,
Inffeldgasse 16c, 8010 Graz, Austria, phone: +43 316 873 5403.
Information on our institute is available at http://www.cgv.tugraz.at/.
Please contact Tobias Schreck for any questions. This position is
available until filled.

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Tobias Schreck
Graz University of Technology
Institute of Computer Graphics and Knowledge Visualization
Inffeldgasse 16c II, Room 134
A-8010 Graz, Austria
Phone: +43 316 873 5403, Fax: +43 316 873 105403
Mail: tobias.schreck at cgv.tugraz.at
Web: https://www.cgv.tugraz.at/schreck/