[Infovis] PhD, MS, and Faculty positions at Northeastern University in Boston, MA, USA

Dunne, Cody c.dunne at northeastern.edu
Tue Dec 20 22:52:11 CET 2016

Many of our colleagues may be unaware of a growing focus on visualization research at Northeastern University<http://www.northeastern.edu/> in Boston, MA. I am writing to you to share some of the exciting opportunities for graduate research and study, as well as faculty positions, we have available. Please share with any interested students.

The College of Computer and Information Science (CCIS)<http://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/> has made two recent hires, Profs. Cody Dunne<https://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/people/cody-dunne/> and Michelle Borkin<http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/borkin/>, to lead visualization research and support two new degree programs in Data Science<http://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/research-area/data-science/>. They join an already strong team of 62 tenured and tenure-track CCIS faculty, and the College plans to continue hiring in both Data Science<http://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/open-positions/> and Network Science<http://www.networkscienceinstitute.org/jobs/position-available-assistant-associatefull-professor-in-the-network-science-institute>. Northeastern is also now ranked 15th<http://csrankings.org/> among top computer science schools in terms of publications at selective venues.

Beyond CCIS, visualization work is being conducted across campus by faculty in Art and Design, Journalism, Politics, Engineering, and the Library. The interdisciplinary NUVis Visualization Consortium<http://nuvis.northeastern.edu/> ties these researchers together, and helps foster cross-cutting studies. We have a rich tradition of working on meaningful problems in collaboration with civic, business, and global partners.

At Northeastern, students interested in graduate studies on visualization have several degree programs to choose from:

  *   PhD in Computer Science<http://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/academics/phd/phd-apply/> (due Jan. 1 for Fall 2017 admission, rolling for Spring 2018 admission)
  *   PhD in Personal Health Informatics<http://phi.ccs.neu.edu/phd/admissions/> (due Jan. 20 for Fall 2017 admission)
  *   PhD in Network Science<http://www.networkscienceinstitute.org/phd#admissions> (due Feb. 1 for Fall 2017 admission)
  *   MS in Computer Science<http://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/program/computer-science-ms/> (due May 1 for Fall 2017 admission)
  *   MS in Data Science<http://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/program/ms-in-data-science/> (due May 1 for Fall 2017 admission)
  *   MFA in Information Design and Visualization<http://www.northeastern.edu/camd/artdesign/academic-programs/mfa-in-information-design-and-visualization/> (due Feb. 1 for Fall 2017 admission)

Our warm supportive community of researchers eagerly seeks women and minority students to promote diversity.

Profs. Dunne and Borkin currently have three open and funded PhD positions focused on data storytelling, analytic provenance, tree and graph/network visualization, visualization for healthcare, multidimensional data visualization, and visualization perception and cognition. We are particularly interested in students with strong programming proficiency, especially in JavaScript, D3, and WebGL. Students should also have strong English speaking and writing skills.

If you are interested in applying to work with them, please email Profs. Dunne (c.dunne at northeastern.edu<mailto:c.dunne at northeastern.edu>) or Borkin (m.borkin at northeastern.edu<mailto:m.borkin at northeastern.edu>) with your materials and submit a CS application<http://www.ccis.northeastern.edu/academics/phd/phd-apply/> (preferred), or alternatively PHI application<http://phi.ccs.neu.edu/phd/admissions/>. Either Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 admission are available.