[Infovis] VizSec 2012

John Goodall jgoodall at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:12:00 CEST 2012

VizSec 2012 will be held in mid-October as part of VisWeek in Seattle.
When we know the exact date, we will update the web site. Papers are
due July 1.

The International Symposium on Visualization for Cyber Security
(VizSec) is a forum that brings together researchers and practitioners
from academia, government, and industry to address the needs of the
cyber security community through new and insightful visualization
techniques. Co-located this year with VisWeek, the 9th VizSec will
provide new opportunities for the usability and visualization
communities to collaborate and share insights on a broad range of
security-related topics. Accepted papers will appear in the ACM
Digital Library as part of the ACM International Conference
Proceedings Series.

Important research problems often lie at the intersection of disparate
domains. Our focus is to explore effective, scalable visual interfaces
for security domains, where visualization may provide a distinct
benefit, including computer forensics, reverse engineering, insider
threat detection, cryptography, privacy, preventing 'user assisted'
attacks, compliance management, wireless security, secure coding, and
penetration testing in addition to traditional network security. Human
time and attention are precious resources. We are particularly
interested in visualization and interaction techniques that
effectively capture human analyst insights so that further processing
may be handled by machines, freeing the analyst for other tasks. For
example, a malware analyst might use a visualization system to analyze
a new piece of malicious software and then facilitate generating a
signature for future machine processing. When appropriate, research
that incorporates multiple data sources, such as network packet
captures, firewall rule sets and logs, DNS logs, web server logs,
and/or intrusion detection system logs, is particularly desirable.

More information is on the web site:

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/vizsec/