[Infovis] Call for Questions for a EuroVis Panel

Jürgen Bernard bernard at ifi.uzh.ch
Tue Jun 6 16:56:39 CEST 2023

Dear Members of the VIS Community,

we are organizing a panel “The Future of Interactive Data Analysis and
Visualization” at EuroVis, on Wednesday June 14, 11:00-12:30. We are
happy to have five excellent panelists: Johanna Schmidt, Timo Ropinski,
Alvitta Ottley, Michael Sedlmair, and Marc Streit!
https://www.eurovis.org/

For the panel, we are asking YOU to submit
questions/statements/positions regarding the three leading questions
about the past, the presence, and the future of VIS!
https://forms.gle/uiPEuy18VfoQDsaS6

Types of questions that may be relevant (not limited to):
- provoking questions
- questions about the (good old) past, (intensive) present, and
(pessimistic/optimistic on) future of VIS
- questions about how VIS relates to other research fields, such as ML,
HCI, etc.

Question ranking criteria
- scientific content is preferred over meta and organizational aspects
- questions from EuroVis attendees will be preferred
- one question per participant will be selected (to foster heterogeneity
and inclusivity)
- provoking questions will be preferred
- short and concise questions will be preferred

We are looking forward to having this special interactive panel with you
in person in Leipzig!

This is an excellent opportunity for Ph.D. students, academics,
practitioners, and enthusiasts of VIS to have their questions answered
by VIS with quite some experience and seniority! So take your chance to
submit a question!

We look forward to meeting you in June!

Best regards,
The EuroVis Panel Organizers,
Jürgen Bernard and Mennatallah El-Assady

Panel Abstract: The interactive data analysis and visualization (VIS)
community has prospered for over thirty years. Generation after
generation, the community has evolved its understanding of research
problems and, along the way, contributed various techniques,
applications, and research methods. While some of the developed
techniques have stood the test of time, we will consider what else needs
to be remembered or even revitalized from the good old days in this
panel. Further, VIS is currently facing exciting times, with great
changes and trends within and outside the community. Thus, in this
panel, we want to analyze current research trends and discuss our most
exciting ideas and directions. Looking ahead, it can already be
anticipated that the future of VIS is subject to change. In this panel,
we want to map out future research directions for our community. Along
these three lines, the guiding theme of our interactive panel will be
three types of (provoking) statements: (i) In the good old days, I liked
when we did . . . (ii) Currently, a most exciting trend is … & (iii) In
the future, we will be doing . . . Come and join us to reflect on past
and present trends, daring a look ahead to an exciting future for the
interactive data analysis and visualization community!

--

Jürgen Bernard
Assistant Professor of Computer Science