[Infovis] BioVis meetup: Communicating Scientific Concepts Through Art, Jan 31

Helena Jambor helena.jambor at tu-dresden.de
Thu Jan 19 12:52:15 CET 2023

Dear all,
pleased to announce BioVis Meetup #6 (feel free to share invitation).
Communicating Scientific Concepts Through Art

with Beata Edyta Mierzwa, PhD - Molecular Biologist and Science Artist, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research and UC San Diego and “Beata Science Art”

When: Join us Jan 31 at 5 pm Berlin / 4 pm London / 11am East Coast US / 8 am California /

What: Creativity is an integral part of both science and art, and using it to combine these two seemingly different disciplines creates unique and effective ways to communicate scientific information, both inside and outside the scientific community. Along my classical academic career path, I have been exploring the visual aspect of science communication using hand-drawn illustrations, science fashion, and interactive media. My drawings aim to convey complex biological concepts using both abstract imagery and real scientific data. Each illustration requires breaking down the essence of scientific findings and translating them into aesthetic visuals using metaphors that describe complex biological processes in intuitive ways. This form of visualization provides a powerful tool to facilitate communication between researchers from diverse fields, spark fascination and curiosity for science, as well as inspire our next generation of scientists. In this talk, I will share my journey towards combining science and art, highlight the impact of artistic practices on my own research and communication, and discuss avenues for scientists to explore this emerging field.

Where Zoom link:
https://tu-dresden.zoom.us/j/86078643977?pwd=dFZiNEIzcWhNUVRDZmt1MVdpWFpjUT09
Meeting ID: 860 7864 3977 Passcode: T3ht0M#!

No time? It’ll be recorded, all recordings are available on YouTube<https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5kIQRQ6TU8Ifu_5h2iipUmIKCqhs50zx>.

http://biovis.net/2022/meetup/2022/12/07/sixth-meetup.html

Dr Helena JAMBOR

National Center for Tumor Diseases, University Cancer Center, NCT-UCC

Universitätsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus an der Technischen Universität Dresden
Fetscherstraße 74, 01307 Dresden

Tel +49 (0)351 458 - 11780
Email helena.jambor at tu-dresden.de<mailto:helena.jambor at tu-dresden.de>
Twitter @helenajambor