[Infovis] Lecturer in Creative AI at the University of York, UK

Jonathan Hook jonathan.hook at york.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 13:10:26 CET 2022

Lecturer in Creative AI at the University of York, UK

Salary: £40,927-£50,296 a year
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Closes: 1st February 2022
Apply: bit.ly/york-creative-ai

Role Description

Applications are invited for a full-time Lecturer in Creative AI, available from May 2022. The Lectureship will be appointed on a research and teaching contract.

You will join an innovative and rapidly expanding department, which brings together research, teaching and commercial activities in creative technologies and technology-based creative practice, offering a rich multi-disciplinary environment in which the boundaries between technology and creative practice, between media types - interactive and immersive media, games, film, television, theatre, music, social media, etc. - and theory and practice are abandoned, and in which the lenses of science, technology and humanities inherently coexist. A particularly exciting feature of the department is the central role it plays in major government research investments, including: the Digital Creativity Labs, an £18m EPSRC Digital Economy Hub that fosters impact-driven research in the digital creative industries; XR Stories, a £15m AHRC Creative Industry Cluster exploring immersive and interactive technologies for digital storytelling; WEAVR, a £7m ICSF Audience of the Future Demonstrator developing technologies for new data-driven and immersive spectator experiences in esports; the Screen Industries Growth Network, a £6.4m Research England project aiming to enhance the competitiveness of and future-proof the screen-related industries (film, television, games, XR and other digital media) in Yorkshire;  and, not least, the £14.7m EPSRC Intelligent Games and Game Intelligence Centre for Doctoral Training.

Role

You will develop research objectives, carry out individual or collaborative research projects and lead on or contribute to the production of research outputs and research outcomes.  You will be a key member of the team shaping our new MSc in Creative Data, which is due to start in September 2023, as well as having the opportunity to teach on already established degree programmes, such as our BSc in Interactive Media. You will also undertake departmental citizenship and administrative responsibilities.

Skills, Experience & Qualification needed

We are seeking an outstanding individual who has the ambition to have substantial impact in their field, can demonstrate international research potential, and who can inspire students through innovative teaching. As the successful candidate, you will have a PhD, be able to demonstrate expertise in data science and/or data analytics and have experience in applications related to the Creative and Cultural Industries or desire to engage with problems in this space. Examples of your expertise might include, but are not limited to: the design, development or analysis of data-driven media experiences (e.g. recommender systems, intelligent user interfaces); design and/or development of data-driven production or analytical tools; audience analysis through data analytics; human-data interaction; creative machine learning; creative data art or performance. You will have the proven ability to contribute to high quality research and the dissemination and impact of research findings.  In addition, you will have experience of taking responsibility for teaching and learning at undergraduate and ideally postgraduate level as well as have evidence of successful course planning, design and delivery across a range of modules.

Interview date: Late February/March 2022

For informal enquiries: please contact Professor Marian Ursu, email: marian.ursu at york.ac.uk

For more information and to apply visit: bit.ly/york-creative-ai

The University strives to be diverse and inclusive  – a place where we can ALL be ourselves.

We particularly encourage applications from people who identify as Black, Asian or from a Minority Ethnic background, who are underrepresented at the University.

We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. #EqualityatYork