[Infovis] Six new PhD positions at the University of Vienna

Anne Marie Faisst anne.marie.faisst at univie.ac.at
Mon Sep 13 14:28:50 CEST 2021

We offer a pleasant work environment within a friendly, dynamic,
international and young team in Vienna, one of the cities with the
highest quality of life worldwide. The working language will be English,
and we are committed to diversity and inclusion.

Three of the open positions are associated with the projects “Talking
charts <https://vda.cs.univie.ac.at/research/projects/project/360/>” and
“Interpretability and Explainability as Drivers to Democracy
<https://informatik.univie.ac.at/en/research/projects/project/354/>”
funded by the Vienna Science and Technology Fund. The other three open
positions are on related topics. Please see the details below. We are
looking forward to your application!

Project “Talking charts”

The project combines perspectives and methods from Computer Science and
Science & Technology Studies to explore how charts related to climate
change and COVID-19 are created and understood both by researchers and
public audiences.

We welcome candidates with a background in Computing (with a
specialization in Human Computer Interaction, Data Visualisation or Data
Science) or in Information Science, Science and Technology Studies, or
related areas. Read more about the project and the job description here:

Project-specific PhD (3-years)

https://tinyurl.com/35fpetkd <https://tinyurl.com/35fpetkd>

Open topic PhD (4-years):

https://tinyurl.com/yhbh66m9 <https://tinyurl.com/yhbh66m9>

Please get in touch via email with Laura Koesten
(laura.koesten at univie.ac.a <mailto:laura.koesten at univie.ac>t) or
Kathleen Gregory (kathleen.gregory at dans.knaw.nl
<mailto:kathleen.gregory at dans.knaw.nl>)  if you have any questions about
the role descriptions or application process for the Talking Charts project.

Project “Interpretability and Explainability as Drivers to Democracy”

The project is about machine learning models that are used for making
decisions with significant societal impact in democratic societies. In
particular, the project's aim is to enable informed evaluation of
machine learning models and their usage by the electorate through
interpretability and explainability of the used models and communication
of these models and their roles in the decision making process in
suitable forms. The underlying decision making process is considered to
involve different stakeholders with different levels of expertise and
achieving the project's aims requires the development of novel machine
learning models, visualization approaches, and guidelines.

Project-specific PhD

https://tschiatschek.net/opening.html
<https://tschiatschek.net/opening.html>

Please get in touch via email with Sebastian Tschiatschek
(sebastian.tschiatschek at univie.ac.at
<mailto:sebastian.tschiatschek at univie.ac.at>) if you have any questions
about the role descriptions or application process for the
Interpretability and Explainability project.

Our research groups are also filling the following related PhD positions:

  *

    Toward explainable models for environmental geoscience:
    https://bit.ly/2UhPry2 <https://bit.ly/2UhPry2>

  *

    Toward explainability of deep-neural-network models
    https://tinyurl.com/5ck4fned <https://tinyurl.com/5ck4fned>

  *

    On reinforcement Learning or probabilistic models,
    https://tinyurl.com/4ud9jewv <https://tinyurl.com/4ud9jewv>

Please get in touch via email with Torsten Möller
(torsten.moeller at univie.ac.at <mailto:torsten.moeller at univie.ac.at>)
with questions about these roles.

--
Anne Marie Faisst, BA

Universität Wien
Fakultät für Informatik
Forschungsgruppe Visualization and Data Analysis

Coordinator Research Network Data Science @ Uni Vienna
Währinger Strasse 29/S6/2.04, A - 1090 Wien

contact me via MS Teams