[Infovis] Call for papers: Journal special issue "Special Issue "Eye-Tracking in Cartography"

Arzu Coltekin arzu.coltekin at fhnw.ch
Sat Jan 30 19:06:18 CET 2021

Dear all,
(apologies for cross-posting)

As some of you may be already aware, there is an open special issue with the
central theme "Eye tracking in Cartography" with the ISPRS IJGI. Our ISPRS
working group Geovisualization, Augmented and Virtual Reality is supporting
this effort. I copy the call below for your consideration.

We are fully aware that there may be little 'new eye movement data' due to
pandemic, but we also know from experience that there are usually quite a bit
of not-yet-analyzed eye movement data in your drives. If your eye tracking
study involves spatial topics (maps, map-like displays), 2021 may be the year
to analyze and write it up. We also welcome literature reviews. Please let us
know by an email at ijgi.eyetracking at gmail.com if you are considering a
submission, and feel free to spread the word.

Kind regards,
-Arzu & co.

------
CfP Special Issue of IJGI: Eye-tracking in cartography
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijgi/special_issues/Eye_Tracking_Cartography

We would like to inform you about a new special issue of ISPRS International
Journal of Geo-Information (impact factor 2.402) which is focused on the topics
of eye-tracking and cartography. We believe this combination might be
interesting to you or your colleagues. Below, you can find the details about
the special issue as well as the list of possible topics. The details are also
available at the website of the special issue.

ISPRS IJGI is an open-access journal, so there is an Article Processing Charge
(APC) of CHF 1400, but you can use MDPI vouchers to decrease the price.
Moreover, we have two fee waivers for high-quality papers. If you are a student
and/or have no grants from which the APC could be paid, feel free to ask for a
waiver.

If you are planning to submit to this special issue, please let us know by an
email at the address ijgi.eyetracking at gmail.com, containing a working title of
your paper as soon as possible, ideally latest by 31 April 2021 (direct
submissions by 31 June will still be considered). Deadline for manuscript
submissions is 30 June 2021. If you have any questions regarding the special
issue, feel free to ask any of the co-editors.

Dr. Stanislav Popelka
Dr. Zdeněk Stachoň
Dr. Peter Kiefer
Prof. Dr. Arzu Çöltekin

Guest Editors

*****

Eye movement analysis is a rich source of information that can be used to
understand a person’s cognitive state, and interpret their cognitive processes
as she/he executes visuospatial tasks. Eye-tracking, thus, is an important
technique for evaluating and optimizing map design, geographic and other
information visualizations, and a wide variety of cartographic products such as
map-like displays including 3D representations. In cartography and related
fields, understanding the perceptual and cognitive processes involved in tasks
such as map reading, route learning and navigation not only enhances our
understanding of human factors, but also leads to improved design decisions.
With decreasing prices of eye-tracking devices in recent years, as well as
promising developments in eye-tracking on smartphones, head-mounted devices,
and in extended reality, we see an unprecedented amount of eye movement studies
and data in cognitive cartography. Moreover, these technological developments
have led to an increased use of eye-tracking for the design of gaze-based
interaction, including also the interaction with maps.

Given the description above, we are looking for contributions related, but not
limited to, the following topics:

- User studies with eye-tracking in cartography and related domains
- Eye-tracking evaluation of static and interactive maps
- Eye-tracking evaluation of geo- or information visualization displays
- Mobile eye-tracking for studies of maps and other geo visualizations
- Methodology of eye movement research in (cognitive) cartography
- Webcam and smartphone based eye tracking - Eye-tracking evaluation of
extended reality displays
- Map optimization using eye-tracking data
- Verification of cartographic rules using eye-tracking
- Comparison of visualization methods using eye-tracking data
- The use of low-cost eye-trackers in cartography
- Eye-tracking as an input modality for geographic human-computer interaction
- Development of new eye-tracking tools
- Combining eye-tracking with other psycho-physiological measurements for
cartographic studies
- Case studies that critically examine eye movement metrics in context
- Individual and group differences in visuospatial tasks with maps and map-like
displays
- Replication studies (can be exact, or with one variable changed)
- Comprehensive, systematic and critical literature reviews on any of the
topics above

n|w University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland FHNW
School of Engineering
Institute of Interactive Technologies IIT

Prof. Dr. Arzu Çöltekin
Principal Investigator for
HCI, Visualization, Extended Reality
Bahnhofstrasse 6