[Infovis] 3x PhD positions in Data Visualization and Visual Analytics at Utrecht University, Netherlands

Michael Behrisch m.behrisch at uu.nl
Sat Feb 27 13:35:16 CET 2021

Dear all,

We are offering three full-time Ph.D. positions in Data Visualization
and Visual Analytics at the Utrecht University, Netherlands.

TYPE: 3x Ph.D. position (5 year funding)
HOURS PER WEEK: 38 to 40h
FACULTY: Faculty of Science
DEPARTMENT: Department of Information and Computing Sciences,
Visualization and Graphics Group
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 28 March 2021

*Job description*
We are looking for three bright Ph.D. candidates to work in the area of
visualization and visual analytics on the following topics:

*1. Visual Quality Metrics (VQM) supervised by Dr Michael Behrisch *
The aim of this project is to create next-generation Visual Quality
Metrics and embed them into knowledge generation processes. VQMs are
innovative visual feature and pattern descriptors that mimic the
human’s powerful cognition and perception system; they (partially)
automate the cognitively demanding task of finding interpretable
visualizations. Embedded into Visual Analytics (VA) systems, VQMs will
guide to primary domain/task specific visual patterns, while monitoring
the progress for convergence and cognitive biases. This
multidisciplinary project unites computer sciences with cognitive
science insights. It builds on previous research, which demonstrates
that guided visual pattern exploration raises trust and confidence in
complex analytical scenarios. The novel VQM-enabled VA systems will have
a far-reaching impact across sciences—from medicine to engineering,
biology to physics—where Researchers are increasingly making use of
big data. VQM-enabled VA will allow these domain experts to access
complex datasets without data science expertise. This project will lay
the foundation for a visual pattern-focused analysis, which in turn will
be the key enabler for the user-centric, multi-faceted, and objective
data exploration of the future.
Project-specific requirements (basic knowledge in one or more of the
following areas will be considered an advantage): web-technologies and
scalable data analysis platforms, visual data analytics, data
visualization, machine learning, and AI. For detailed questions on this
topic and the PhD itself feel free to contact m.behrisch at uu.nl.

*2. Data Visualization for Decision Making (DEC) supervised by Dr
Evanthia Dimara *
There are decisions neither humans nor computers can make alone.
Information Visualization leverages the human vision system -- the
single most powerful system in our brain-- to support reasoning over
complex information. The goal of this PhD project is to investigate how
visualization systems can better support decision making with data in
use cases where pure AI solutions appear inadequate, while the human
intuition alone leads to biased judgements. While visualization research
originates in computer science, this project opts to incorporate
methodologies from other disciplines that study decisions, such as
economics, psychology, cognitive, or management science. Visualisation
solutions will further build on findings derived from empirical
research, extracting user behaviour, expectations, and needs via both
quantitative and qualitative approaches. Such findings are essential to
ensure that the visual analytic systems do benefit the decision-makers
and ultimately gain insights on how to refine them.
Project-specific requirements: Skills in any of the following:
programming (preferably with web-technologies), data visualisation,
experiment design, statistical analysis, machine learning, as well as
multidisciplinary backgrounds would be desired. Independent thinking,
curiosity, and enthusiasm will be celebrated.
You are advised to visit evanthiadimara.com/work-with-me and contact
Evanthia before applying.

*3. Algorithms for Network Visualization (ANV) supervised by Dr Tamara
Mchedlidze *
One of the most common and intuitive network visualizations are
so-called node-link diagrams. In these diagrams, nodes are depicted by
geometric shapes such as circles or rectangles and links are represented
by lines or curves connecting corresponding nodes. Algorithms for the
construction of node-link diagrams are based on quality metrics, which
are heuristic measures that specify how readable and appealing a
visualization is. The goal of this project is to advance the
state-of-the-art in network visualization algorithms. In particular, the
goal of the PhD thesis is twofold. On the one hand, the aim is to
develop network quality metrics that closely match the human perception
of aesthetics, readability, and clarity of node-link diagrams. On the
other hand, the goal is to develop algorithms that construct node-link
diagrams by optimizing the newly developed quality metrics.
Project-specific requirements (basic knowledge in one or more of the
following areas will be considered an advantage): design and analysis of
algorithms, combinatorial optimization, machine learning, experimental
evaluation of algorithms, empirical evaluation of visualization methods,
graph theory, computational geometry, network information theory. For
further information on the project and the requirements, you are highly
encouraged to contact Tamara at t.mtsentlintze at uu.nl before applying.

As a PhD candidate in these fully funded 5-year projects, you will
primarily perform research and publish your results in scientific papers
in international conferences and journals, and complete a PhD thesis.
You will also contribute to teaching by supervising tutorial groups and
student projects and by co-teaching courses at the Bachelor's and
Master's level (30% of employment time). This may lead to a University
Teaching Qualification certificate.

*Qualifications*
We are looking for candidates with:
•    a Master’s degree in computer science, social sciences,
design or relevant fields;
•    strong written and oral communication skills in English;
•    programming skills;
•    a strong motivation for conducting multidisciplinary research.

*Offer*
a position for five years; a full-time gross salary that starts at
€2,395 and increases to €3,061 per month in the fourth year (scale P
of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities(cao)); benefits
including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus; a pension scheme,
partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based
on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities. In addition to
the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch
Universities,Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements.
For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave
arrangements, and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand
your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions
Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.

*About the organization*
The three positions correspond to three distinct projects offered by Dr
Michael Behrisch (VQM), Dr Evanthia Dimara (DEC) and Dr Tamara
Mchedlidze (ANV) respectively. All PhD theses will be supervised jointly
by each Assistant Professor (daily supervisor) and Prof Alexandru Telea
(thesis promotor). You will also be part of the Visualization and
Graphics (VIG) group . Main research areas of the VIG group are
information visualization, human-computer interaction, graph, and
network visualization, high-dimensional data visualization, visual
analytics, and decision-making support. We also provide the opportunity
to have broad collaborations with other groups in our department
(including Algorithms, Intelligent Software Systems, and Interaction
divisions), as well as to conduct multidisciplinary research with
scientists in Humanities, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Health
Sciences, and Geosciences. At the Faculty of Science , there are six
departments to make a fundamental connection with: Biology, Chemistry,
Information and Computing Sciences, Mathematics, Pharmaceutical Sciences
and Physics. Each of these is made up of distinct institutes that work
together to focus on answering some of humanity’s most pressing
problems. More fundamental still are the individual research groups –
the building blocks of our ambitious scientific projects. Utrecht
University is a friendly and ambitious university at the heart of an
ancient city. We love to welcome new scientists to our city – a
thriving cultural hub that is consistently rated as one of the world’s
happiest cities. We are renowned for our innovative interdisciplinary
research and our emphasis on inspirational research and excellent
education. We are equally well-known for our familiar atmosphere and the
can-do attitude of our people. This fundamental connection attracts
Researchers, Professors and PhD candidates from all over the globe,
making both the university and the Faculty of Science a vibrant
international and wonderfully diverse community.

Please visit the official vacancy website below for more information on
how to apply :
https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/three-phd-positions-in-visualization-and-visual-analytics-10-fte

*The application deadline is 28 March 2021.*

Kind Regards,
Michael Behrisch, Evanthia Dimara, Tamara Mchedlidze