[Infovis] Datavis postdoc+research engineer @ university of edinburgh

Benjamin Bach bbach at inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 8 09:09:30 CEST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Good luck everyone with all your VIS submissions. Up for new adventures?—read on and join us!

We have two new positions in our lab! We are looking for a full-time postdoc and a research engineer for up to 2 years in the area of data visualization. Come contribute to exciting research in data-driven storytelling, network visualization, visualization literacy, human-computer interaction, and interdisciplinary vis.

https://visualinteractivedata.github.io/jobs-viscovery.html <https://visualinteractivedata.github.io/jobs-viscovery.html>
The project aims to develop visualizations, interfaces and systems to support analysts in the humanities (history, social science, archaeology, etc.) in exploring geo-temporal networks. Our research aims to provide new ways to support interactive exploration for network data as well as training novice-analysts in data and visualization literacy. A research engineer role will support the development of our network visualization platform. Publications are aimed to be presented at top-tier international conferences (CHI, VIS, EuroVis).

The project is led by Benjamin Bach. We will collaborate with researchers in visualization and HCI at Microsoft Research as well as in network analysis, archaeology, and history in the UK, across Europe, and beyond.

Environment:

Both positions are hosted by the VisHub group (https://visualinteractivedata.github.io <https://visualinteractivedata.github.io/>) at the University of Edinburgh. The group is a new and thriving interdisciplinary visualization group including faculty, postdocs, PhD students, and master students in Design Informatics. We focus on topics in visualization and HCI such as visualization of networks and temporal data, storytelling, visualization education, physicalization and immersive analytics. We engage in collaborations in public health, NLP, international law, history, social sciences, industry and visualization researchers across the globe. The Vishub is embedded within the School of Informatics as well as the Institute for Design Informatics spanning both Informatics and the School of Design. The successful candidate for the postdoc position are invited to both PhD and MSc/MA supervision as well as teaching (extra pay).

The School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh offers many possibilities for interdisciplinary collaborations and fellowships. Edinburgh is a beautiful, international, and academic place amidst the Scottish nature and close to islands and Highlands.

The PI will help the postdoc and research engineer with career planning, networking, and teaching relevant research skills relevant to the project and beyond (methodology, proposal writing, etc.).

The following includes both roles, postdoc(s) and research engineer

Deadline: April 21st
Start: as soon as possible
Duration: up to 2 years
Visa: Required for all non-UK/non-pre-settled applicants and will be managed by the University
Eligibility postdoc: PhD in visualization or related areas
Eligibility research engineer: strong web and visualization development skills, MSc in computer science or PhD and interest in research preferred.
Fields of expertise/interest: exploratory visualization, data-driven storytelling, network analysis, human-computer interaction, web-development

Temporary remote work might be possible on a case-by-case basis but relocation is required as soon as possible.

For questions and application details, please e-mail Benjamin Bach, bbach at ed.ac.uk.

Benjamin Bach

Lecturer in Design Informatics and Visualization
School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
https://visualinteractivedata.github.io <https://visualinteractivedata.github.io/>
http://benjbach.me