[Infovis] two short pieces

Ben Shneiderman ben at cs.umd.edu
Tue May 5 00:06:14 CEST 2020

To: InfoVis list

This is a transformative moment for data visualization, as it is central in much of the public and professional discussions on COVID-19. Please circulate, where appropriate.  It's our chance to make a little noise about visualization.

Data Visualization's Breakthrough Moment in the COVID-19 Crisis

The discipline has made some important contributions over its 300-year history, but perhaps none more so than now

    https://medium.com/nightingale/data-visualizations-breakthrough-moment-in-the-covid-19-crisis-ce46627c7db5

If you haven't seen it, Nightingale, is a widely-read free online publication of the Data Visualization Society, which has emerged in the past year as a strong force in promoting data visualization, especially among professionals and the general public. The article describes and links to some of the 600+ visualizations that have appeared on the web during the COVID-19 crisis. It highlights the valuable role of visualization to inform the public, help hospital managers plan, and guide government policy-makers.

I wrote a personal tribute to info vis and parallel coordinates hero Alfred Inselberg who died recently ... It appeared in:

    IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications<https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?punumber=38> (Vol 40, 3<https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/tocresult.jsp?isnumber=9082262>, May-June 1 2020)

    https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9082278

                   Best wishes... stay safe... Ben Shneiderman

Ben Shneiderman                      ben at cs.umd.edu<mailto:ben at cs.umd.edu>
Dept of Computer Science       www.cs.umd.edu/~ben<http://www.cs.umd.edu/~ben>
Iribe Building 2162
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20814

Distinguished University Professor Emeritus
Founding Director (1982-2000) Human-Computer Interaction Lab
Member, National Academy of Engineering
Fellow, AAAS, ACM, IEEE, NAI, SIGCHI Academy, VIS Academy