[Infovis] CfP: Machine Learning from User Interactions Workshop at IEEE VIS

John Wenskovitch johnwenskovitch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 00:45:14 CEST 2020

*Call for Participation:*  Machine Learning from User Interactions (MLUI)
workshop at IEEE VIS

The Machine Learning from User Interactions (MLUI) workshop seeks to bring
together researchers to share their knowledge and build collaborations at
the intersection of the Machine Learning and Visualization fields, with a
focus on learning from user interaction. Rather than focusing on what
visualization can do to support machine learning (as in current Explainable
AI research), this workshop seeks contributions on how machine learning can
support visualization. Such support incorporates human-centric sensemaking
processes, user-driven analytical systems, and gaining insight from data.
Our intention in this workshop is to generate open discussion about how we
currently learn from user interaction, how to build intelligent
visualization systems, and how to proceed with future research in this
area. We hope to foster discussion regarding systems, interaction models,
and interaction techniques. Further, we hope to extend last year’s
collaborative creation of a research agenda that explores the future of
machine learning with user interaction.

We plan for two submission tracks, supporting both (1) papers and (2)
late-breaking work.

*Papers:*  We invite research and position papers between 5 and 10 pages in
length (NOT including references). All submissions must be formatted
according to the VGTC conference style template (i.e., NOT the journal
style template that full papers use). All papers accepted for presentation
at the workshop will be published and linked from the workshop website. All
papers should contain full author names and affiliations. These papers are
considered archival; reuse of the content in a follow-up publication is
only permitted in a proper journal, and any extended version must extend
the original paper by at least 30%. If applicable, a link to a short video
(up to 5 min. in length) may also be submitted. The papers will be juried
by the organizers and selected external reviewers and will be chosen
according to relevance, quality, and likelihood that they will stimulate
and contribute to the discussion. At least one author of each accepted
paper needs to register for the conference (even if only for the workshop).
Further submission details will follow.

Submission deadline: July 24, 2020

Author notification: August 12, 2020

*Late-Breaking Work:*  We anticipate that some participants would prefer to
discuss either (1) limited aspects of their larger work that fit our call,
or (2) late-breaking work. This replaces the posters track that we
previously offered at MLUI. Submissions for this track will only require a
~250 word abstract, and selected talks will receive 5 minutes to present
their current work. Further submission details will follow.

Submission deadline: October 1, 2020

Author notification: October 8, 2020