[Infovis] 4th Workshop on Data Systems for Interactive Analysis (DSIA 2019), Co-located with IEEE VIS 2019, Vancouver

Dominik Moritz domoritz at cs.washington.edu
Mon May 13 11:18:33 CEST 2019

CALL FOR PAPERS

The 4th Workshop on Data Systems for Interactive Analysis (DSIA 2019),
Co-located with VIS 2019

https://www.interactive-analysis.org/

October 20 or 21st, 2019 in Vancouver, BC, Canada. In conjunction with IEEE
VIS 2019.

*** Submission Deadline: July 13, 2019 ***

DSIA seeks to foster innovative research at the intersection of data
processing systems and interactive visualization.

In this workshop, we will explore ideas at the frontier of databases,
machine learning, and other large-scale data-processing systems impact
visualization systems design.  It is our core tenant that designing these
systems together will yield better systems.  Examples include:
* How can machine learning influence visualization design?
* What data pre-processing can or should be done automatically in a
database?
* How can perceptual principles be applied to query optimization?

This workshop is a forum for cross-pollination between these fields. The
program will include invited talks from researches in these communities and
preliminary research work.  It will include time for short presentations
outlining needs and new approaches.  Finally, we will break into discussion
groups and have a report out on research areas for the next year (Please
see http://www.interactive-analysis.org/ for links to the program from
previous years, including the notes from last year's discussion groups).

-- LIST OF TOPICS --

This workshop will focus on interactive systems: techniques, methods,
architecture, systems that enable the user to explore and analyze large
amounts of data.  The focus will be on issues that span front-end and
back-end, with low-latency techniques that enable interaction especially
interesting. We encourage research in progress, position papers and
late-breaking results in interactive analysis in the broadest sense. We are
generally interested in questions that arise at as visualization systems
interface with other systems.

Topics of interest workshop include (but are not limited to):
* Application architectures that exploit these novel back-end capabilities
* Techniques for data storage, retrieval, compression, transformation,
sampling, and streaming
* Database architectures for interactive analysis (designs or
implementations)
* Novel use of database facilities for interactive analysis
* Novel database techniques based on perceptual constraints and
human-centered design
* Evaluation of data systems for interactive analysis
* Identify unique characteristics of databases for supporting visualization
* Communication protocols between front and back ends
* Techniques for metadata generation

We are also interested in position abstracts. In this format, we invite
ideas for new research directions, their expected impact and anticipated
challenges.  We especially encourage junior researchers and students to
consider this track as an opportunity to share concepts and get feedback.

-- SUBMISSIONS --

We are accepting papers in two formats:
* Preliminary research, late-breaking results and work in progress: 4 to 6
pages excluding references in IEEE VIS paper format. Accepted papers will
be given a full slot to present at the workshop and will have the option to
publish in IEEE Xplore.
* Position abstracts, research ideas and desired future work: 1 to 3 pages
excluding references in IEEE VIS paper format. Accepted position papers
will be given a 5-minute "lightning" talk slot at the workshop to share
their ideas/concepts/concerns.

-- IMPORTANT DATES --

* Submission Deadline: July 13, 2019
* Notification Date: July 28, 2019
* Camera Ready Due: August 17, 2019
* Workshop Date: October 20 or 21, 2019

-- WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS --

* Dominik Moritz, University of Washington.
* Leilani Battle, University of Washington/University of Maryland.
* Joseph Cottam, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.

-- CONTACT --

Website: https://www.interactive-analysis.org
Email: organizers at interactive-analysis.org