[Infovis] CFP - Algorithms that Make you Think (Apply by March 6, 2019)

Chris North north at cs.vt.edu
Fri Feb 22 05:42:20 CET 2019

Algorithms That Make You Think
http://hci.vt.edu/algorithms-that-make-you-think/ <http://hci.vt.edu/algorithms-that-make-you-think/>

Fourth Annual Virginia Tech Workshop on the Future of Human-Computer Interaction
April 11-12, 2019, Blacksburg, VA

Call for Provocations (Apply by March 6th, 2019, notifications by March 8th, 2019).

Algorithms play an increasingly important role in shaping many aspects of our daily lives. Researchers across a wide variety of disciplines including human-computer interaction, communication, law, and computer science have debated over the ways in which algorithms govern and keep the human out of the decision making process.

What if human-algorithm communication were different?
What if we purposely involve humans in the algorithmic decision making pipeline?
What if we support human agency and traits in building and sustaining algorithmic data and decision systems?
How can the inherent values of human critical thinking and creativity be incorporated into algorithms?
How can we reconcile diverse perspectives and points of view about human-algorithm communication?
How can we design effective human-machine collaborations for critical analysis?

The Virginia Tech Center for Human-Computer Interaction is hosting a two-day workshop, to be held April-11-12, 2019 in Blacksburg, Virginia, to find answers to these key questions pertaining to human-algorithmic interactions. The workshop aims to bring in scholarly expertise from a wide range of disciplines, including human-computer interaction, communication, law, and computer science. Therefore, a driving force behind this workshop is to encourage increased dialogue among researchers from different domains with intersecting interests in human-algorithm communication.

Workshop outcomes may include system designs, best practices for ethical and responsible algorithm development, research and policy proposals, and publications and recommendations for building this area of research and practice.

Keynote Speakers:
* Jenna Burrell (UC-Berkeley)
* Adam Perer (Carnegie Mellon)
* Christian Sandvig (University of Michigan)

SUBMISSIONS: We invite interested researchers to submit a 1-2 page (including references) position paper that addresses any of the workshop’s key questions. The paper should also include a short author bio with details about current research or potential goals of research. Authors of selected papers will be invited to give lightning talks and participate in breakout sessions at the workshop.

REVIEW: Submissions will be lightly reviewed to ensure their relevance to the workshop theme and their potential for clustering with an eye to novel idea integration. On the basis of these submissions, some authors will be invited to give lightning talks, participate in provocative panels or breakout discussions. We anticipate accepting submissions up to the maximum number of attendees that we can support for the event.

REGISTRATION: With your acceptance notification you will receive a link to register for the workshop. Registration is free of charge for those with accepted submissions. Continental breakfast and lunches will be covered by our sponsors. We ask that participants cover all other expenses.

DATES:
6 March 2019     Submission as PDF by e-mail (to cevia at vt.edu <mailto:cevia at vt.edu>  and tmitra at vt.edu <mailto:tmitra at vt.edu> )
8 March 2019     Notification of acceptance
15 March 2019   Registration deadline
11 April 2019      Morning introduction to workshop
12 April 2019     Evening conclusion of workshop

QUESTIONS:  Please contact cevia at vt.edu or tmitra at vt.edu. We thank you for your submission and look forward to engaging and provocative ideas in this upcoming workshop.

Leading Organizers:  Tanu Mitra and Carlos Evia
Workshop presented by the Center for Human-Computer Interaction, and co-sponsored by the Department of Computer Science, the Center for Humanities, and the Discovery Analytics Center.