[Infovis] VISxAI workshop CfP

Hendrik Strobelt hendrik at strobelt.com
Mon Jun 11 23:08:04 CEST 2018

Dear colleagues and friends,

It's a pleasure to invite for submissions to our VISxAI workshop
which will be held during IEEE VIS 2018 in Berlin.

Please don't hesitate to visit the webpage http://visxai.io <http://visxai.io/> or tweet about it #visxai

We are looking forward to see your creative work,

Menna, Fernanda, Adam, Polo, Hen(drik)

== Important Dates ===

July 12, 2018, 5:00pm PDT: Blog/Notebooks + Position Paper Submission
August 2, 2018: Author Notification
August 16, 2018: Camera-ready Copy for Accepted Submissions
September 7, 2018: VIS Early Bird Registration Ends

=== Call for Participation ===

To make our work more accessible to the general audience, we are soliciting submissions in a novel format: blog-style posts and jupyter-like notebooks. In addition we also accept position papers in a more traditional form. Please contact us, if you want to submit a original work in another format. Email: orga.visxai at gmail.com <http://gmail.com/>

--- Explainables (Blogs, Markup, and Notebooks) ---

Explainable submissions are the core element of the workshop, as this workshop aims to be a platform for explanatory visualizations focusing on AI         techniques.

Authors have the freedom to use whatever templates and formats they like. However, the narrative should be visual and interactive, and walk readers through a keen understanding on the ML technique or application. Authors may wish to write a Distill-style blog post (format), interactive Idyll markup, or a Jupyter or Observable notebook that integrates codes, visualizations to tell the story.

Here are a few examples of visual explanations of AI methods in these types of formats:

	• [blog-style] http://www.r2d3.us/visual-intro-to-machine-learning-part-1/ <http://www.r2d3.us/visual-intro-to-machine-learning-part-1/>
	• [blog-style] http://formafluens.io/client/mix10.html <http://formafluens.io/client/mix10.html>
	• [markup] https://idyll-lang.org/gallery/the-barnes-hut-approximation <https://idyll-lang.org/gallery/the-barnes-hut-approximation>
	• [notebook] https://beta.observablehq.com/@nstrayer/t-sne-explained-in-plain-javascript <https://beta.observablehq.com/@nstrayer/t-sne-explained-in-plain-javascript>
	• [markup] http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/agconti/kaggle-titanic/blob/master/Titanic.ipynb <http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/agconti/kaggle-titanic/blob/master/Titanic.ipynb>
	• [blog-style] https://distill.pub/2017/momentum/ <https://distill.pub/2017/momentum/>

While these examples are informative and excellent, we hope the visualization community will think about ways to creatively expand on such foundational work to explain AI methods using novel interactions and visualizations often present at IEEE VIS. Please contact us, if you want to submit a original work in another format. Email: orga.visxai at gmail.com

The best works will be invited to submit their extended work to the online publishing platform distill.pub to generate a cite-able publication for authors.

--- Position Papers ---

We will also accept position papers about impact and role of explainables for VIS in AI. Submissions should be no more than 6 pages long and formatted according to the VGTC formatting guidelines. Some good example of a position papers (not all for AI) can be found here:

	• Considerations for Visualizing Comparison
	• Risk the Drift! Stretching Disciplinary Boundaries through Critical Collaborations between the Humanities and Visualization
	• Towards better analysis of machine learning models: A visual analytics perspective
	• Pathways for Theoretical Advances in Visualization
[soon] To create a submission, please use the Precision Conference System. After logging in, go to “new submissions” and select “VISxAI 2018”.

=== Organizers (alphabetic) ===

Mennatallah El-Assady - University of Konstanz
Duen Horng (Polo) Chau - Georgia Tech
Adam Perer - IBM Research, MIT-IBM Watson AI Lab
Hendrik Strobelt - IBM Research, MIT-IBM Watson AI Lab
Fernanda Viégas - Google Brain