[Infovis] Vis4DH Workshop CfP

Menna El-Assady mennatallah.el-assady at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Jun 5 00:56:25 CEST 2018

CfP: 3rd IEEE VIS Workshop on Visualization for the Digital Humanities

(http://vis4dh.org/)

We are pleased to announce a call for papers for the 3rd Workshop on
Visualization for the Digital Humanities “VIS4DH ⇔ DH4VIS”
<http://vis4dh.org/>, to be held as part of the IEEE VIS conference
<http://ieeevis.org/year/2018/info/workshops>.
The call is open to all fields of the humanities and all branches of
visualization. We are particularly interested in papers that bring
different disciplines together. In this year’s workshop we are looking
to initiate a critical conversation about the often very different
conceptual languages and vocabularies deployed across the humanities and
visualization and the ways in which those vocabularies operate in
applied visualization techniques in the digital humanities. The workshop
is intended to put different ways of seeing, knowing, articulating, and
creating argument into dialogue in order to foster and to intensify
interdisciplinary collaboration between humanities and visualization
researchers.

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission Deadline:     04 July, 2018
Notification Deadline:     31 July, 2018
Camera Ready Submission Deadline:     17 August, 2018
IEEE VIS Conference:     21 - 26 October, 2018

VIS4DH ⇔ DH4VIS

We are witnessing an growth in collaborations between the humanities and
computing. One only need to look to the media arts, visual
communication, information visualization, and digital humanities to see
exciting new examples of interdisciplinary research. In this year’s
workshop, we hope to feature some of this visual innovation in the realm
of applied visualization as well as to explore new avenues for
interdisciplinary and collaborative research between visualization and
the humanities. We will explore different vocabularies and conceptual
frameworks deployed by computing on the one hand and humanities on the
other, and use these to think about how to engage differences as
potentially rich opportunities rather than seeing them as barriers.

Some guiding questions for the 2018 workshop:

      - How can we translate (and mutually enrich) the conceptual
vocabularies of the humanities and visualization? How do projects at the
intersection of humanities and visualization research mutually impact
the respective fields?

      - How do collaborating humanities and visualization researchers
balance theory, practice and making in their intellectual work? What
kinds of products do they value, and how do they define rigor in their
work? How does the dissemination of their results represent these
tensions and balance?

      - How do debates from the cultural and visual turns of the
humanities find themselves reflected in visualization strategies? How
can our visualizations be said to embody values emerging from those debates?

      - What are the epistemological stakes of visualization? How might
we characterize knowledge produced by visualization? How are knowledge
and visualization design intertwined?

      - What kinds of meaning, information or satisfaction are sought by
users when interacting with visualization? How does our notion of
audience affect how we design? How do we balance innovation and
accessibility?

      - How can visualization create innovative design solutions that
communicate the specificities of humanities data?

      - Does visualization always depend on turning the humanities into a
computational problem? Are humanities researchers interested only in
platforms for deploying their research, not in research that will push
both fields forward? Are there alternative views?

This workshop is seeking work from scholars in both visualization and
the humanities who use visualization as part of the process of analyzing
and interrogating human culture. Submissions will present original
research ideas or results as they relate to visualization for the
digital humanities. Each submission should clearly state its specific
contribution to this growing field of research.

SUBMISSIONS

Submissions will take the form of short (2-4 page - excluding
references) papers, falling into one of two submission types:

Short Papers -- These submissions are meant to summarize more mature
work in visualization for the digital humanities, including case
studies, system descriptions, and empirical results. Of special
consideration are works that highlight the difficulties (and propose
solutions) of designing visualizations for the digital humanities.
Applied work from the digital humanities that is highly visual in nature
would also be considered for acceptance.

Position Papers -- These submissions are meant to present viewpoints and
opinions on the interplay between visualization and the digital
humanities. These positions should be informed by a deep involvement and
experience in one (or ideally, both) fields. Position papers should be
thought-provoking but also well-supported.

Authors of accepted short and position papers will be invited to give
9-minute research presentations (including 2 minutes for audience
questions) followed by moderated panel discussions.

Submissions should be in two-column IEEE TVCG format. Latex and Word
templates are available at:
http://junctionpublishing.org/vgtc/Tasks/camera_tvcg.html Submissions
will be optionally double blind. Authors wishing to submit their work
double-blind should remove author information from the cover page of
their submitted documents and take care to avoid identifying information
in the submissions themselves (e.g., references “our” work).

Submissions should be submitted via
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=vis4dh by 5 PM PST, 04 July
2018. Submissions should be in pdf format, clearly indicating paper
type: short paper or position paper. Submissions should not exceed four
pages of content.