[Infovis] IEEE VIS: Visualization Pioneers Group Reception

Ben Shneiderman ben at cs.umd.edu
Thu Jan 18 22:27:18 CET 2018

Dear InfoVis community,

     We're just two months away from the Sackler Colloquium on Creativity and Collaboration: Revisiting Cybernetic Serendipity, which will be in Washington, DC at the beautiful old building of the National Academy of Sciences on the mall during March 13-14, 2018:
   http://www.nasonline.org/Sackler-Creativity-Collaboration

Our ambition is to redirect the history of ideas, restoring the
Leonardo-like close linkage between art/design and
science/engineering/medicine.  We believe that internet-enabled
collaborations can make more people more creative more of the time.

This Colloquium is especially relevant to the InfoVis community since it includes key InfoVis people, who promote visualization as a key strategy to support creative discoveries and innovations. Together we can help raise the place of information visualization on the national agenda. We have a dream team of speakers, including Smithsonian Secretary David Skorton as our keynoter on Tuesday night's free public event, which you can see on the agenda:
   http://www.nasonline.org/programs/sackler-colloquia/upcoming-colloquia/Cybernetic_Serendipity.html

The prestigious Organizing Committee has assembled a remarkable set of speakers, who are committed to making sustainable changes to research, education, government, and business, as described in this summary:
   http://www.cvent.com/events/creativity-and-collaboration-revisiting-cybernetic-serendipity/event-summary-c03ea91ededc4035a3c89bc0f8f2ac39.aspx

This Sackler Colloquium will explore ways that art/design and science/engineering/medicine research can yield productive partnerships that address the grand challenges of our times.  It is an invitation to think different, to be ambitious, and to collaborate using powerful technologies and innovative social mechanisms.

Registration is now open with a fee of $200, but we have arranged for funding to allow registrations at $50 to the first 100 people who request this subsidy -artists, students, and others without funding. I hope you will join us for this historic event.

    Please pass this announcement to your friends and colleagues.

            Sincerely... Ben Shneiderman, University of Maryland