[Infovis] Simon Fraser University’s School of Interactive Arts and Technology (SFU SIAT) invites candidates to apply to our graduate program

Wolfgang Stuerzlinger w.s at sfu.ca
Wed Nov 1 01:44:42 CET 2017

Simon Fraser University’s School of Interactive Arts and Technology invites candidates to apply to our graduate program.

Apply now: http://siats.ca/apply
Learn more: http://siats.ca/more

Application Deadline: January 15, 2018
The School of Interactive Arts & Technology (SIAT) is an internationally recognized interdisciplinary school with a focus on technology and the human experience. SIAT MSc., MA, and Ph.D. students develop and apply innovative multi-disciplinary research methods to explore the broader implications of advanced information and media technologies. Guided by these studies, they design new technology and media experiences that are responsive to individual, organizational, and societal values. SIAT’s infrastructure includes state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities, and is further enhanced by the capabilities and resources of our many university collaborators and partner organizations in the public and private sectors, which also provide opportunities for internships.

Students admitted to our graduate program can expect to receive funding for multiple years in the form of scholarships and/or research and teaching assistantships. SIAT graduate students are mentored in interdisciplinary research methods and various forms of dissemination, such as international academic publishing, conference presentation, or curation and exhibition of media arts, both locally and abroad.

Our program’s unique focus, which brings together experts and students from a variety of backgrounds, such as media arts, human-computer interaction, design, computing, and social science, prepares graduates for diverse careers in the technology sector and in academia. SIAT alumni hold leading positions in industry and in tenure-track positions in institutions around the world.

Our specialized areas of research include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Interactive Computing: visualization and visual analytics, human-computer interaction, artificial intelligence, tangible interfaces, virtual and augmented reality, learning technologies, game technology, domestic computing and other themes
* Media, Visual Arts and Performance: performance technology, interactive animation, interactive environments and installations, game narrative, film and video, audio/music, digital curation, and other themes
* Design: interaction design, sustainable design, parametric design, immersion design, experience design, participatory design, game design, museum design, design for children and the elderly, and related themes
* People: cognitive, perceptual, and social psychology, anthropology and ethnography of media, history, user modeling, chronic pain management, and health data management
* Science of Interaction: uses the scientific method to develop and test theories of human perceptual, cognitive, interactive, and communicative performance that are used to design, prototype, and evaluate interactive systems in their context of use.

SIAT, at Simon Fraser University’s (SFU) Surrey campus, is located directly on the main rapid transit line to downtown Vancouver. Located between the mountains and the sea, Metro Vancouver is home to one of the central nodes of Canada’s cultural and entertainment industry and much of its digital media production. The region’s rich cultural, natural and intellectual resources make it one of the world’s most desirable places to live, study and work. SIAT, a unit of the Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology (FCAT), is a member of many local, national, and international networks, and has strong connections to leading companies.

Visit our website for more information on the admissions process
	http://siats.ca/more
Consider liking our Facebook page:
	https://www.facebook.com/SIATSFU/
or follow us on Twitter
	https://twitter.com/SIAT_SFU
to see what we are up to and learn about our latest news, research, and exhibitions.
--
Wolfgang Stuerzlinger          http://ws.iat.sfu.ca
Simon Fraser University                 w.s at sfu.ca