[Infovis] IEEE VIS2015: Visual Data Science Symposium CFP: deadline July 1st

Jian Chen jichen at umbc.edu
Thu Jun 11 06:13:26 CEST 2015

IEEE VIS 2015 Panel CFP (
http://ieeevis.org/year/2015/info/call-participation/panels)
Deadline: Sunday, June 15, 2015

IMPORTANT NOTE: Submissions should be emailed as attachments
topanels at ieeevis.org

IEEE VIS 2015 Panels should address important and/or controversial
applications and issues in scientific and information visualization and
visual analytics today. In particular, we invite topics in connection with
interesting application fields. Panels bringing together potential users of
visualization technology (e.g. practitioners and industry professionals)
and leading researchers, or panels consisting of experts in fields that
might teach us important concepts (e.g. perceptual psychology, visual
design, color theory, user-interface design) are welcome. Panelists should
be experts in their fields who can discuss the challenges of visualization,
and engage the audience and fellow panel members in a stimulating,
interactive debate. Diverging opinions on controversial topics are
encouraged.

Panel proposals should describe the topic to be addressed and identify the
prospective panelists. Each panelist should include a position statement on
the topic and a short biography, the total of which should be limited to
500 words for each panelist, up to a maximum of four pages for the whole
panel. In case the panel follows up on the topic of a previously held
panel, we ask the organizers to point this out and to detail the advances
expected from the follow-up.

Panels are scheduled for the duration of an entire paper session; panel
proposals should thus target one hour and 40 minutes total duration,
including question and discussion periods. We strongly recommend that in
order to keep to time, the chair of the panel is not one of the panel
speakers.

Panel organizers should also submit a short description of the panel format
and schedule (max. 1 page). This should be in a separate document from the
proposal itself, and should describe the order of topics to be discussed,
time to be spent on panelist presentations, and mechanisms for encouraging
audience participation. Based on audience feedback, the duration of
panelist presentations should allow ample time for intra-panel discussion
and discussions between the panel and the audience.

Accepted panelists are required to prepare a 'Fast Forward' to advertise
their panel and are invited to submit a Video Preview.

We also note that submitting similar topics to multiple venues (e.g. panels
and workshops) is likely to result in at most one accepted proposal so that
a broad range of topics can be presented at the conference.
Best regards,
- Jian

Jian Chen, PhD, Assistant Prof.
CSEE, University of Maryland Baltimore County
http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~jichen