[Infovis] New Book Announcement

Brent Beckley beckley at morganclaypool.com
Mon Aug 31 19:07:44 CEST 2015

Morgan & Claypool Publishers is excited to announce the launch new title in
our Synthesis Lectures on Visualization Series.

Interaction for Visualization

By Christian Tominski (University of Rostock)

Paperback ISBN:  9781627057738

E-Book ISBN: 9781627057745

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/
<http://dx.doi.org/10.2200/S00651ED1V01Y201506VIS003>
10.2200/S00651ED1V01Y201506VIS003

97 pages . Copyright 2015

Visualization has become a valuable means for data exploration and analysis.
Interactive visualization combines expressive graphical representations and
effective user interaction. Although interaction is an important component
of visualization approaches, much of the visualization literature tends to
pay more attention to the graphical representation than to interaction.

The goal of this work is to strengthen the interaction side of
visualization. Based on a brief review of general aspects of interaction, we
develop an interaction-oriented view on visualization. This view comprises
five key aspects: the data, the tasks, the technology, the human, as well as
the implementation. Picking up these aspects individually, we elaborate
several interaction methods for visualization. We introduce a
multi-threading architecture for efficient interactive exploration. We
present interaction techniques for different types of data e.g.,
multivariate data, spatio-temporal data, graphs) and different visualization
tasks (e.g., exploratory navigation, visual comparison, visual editing).
With respect to technology, we illustrate approaches that utilize modern
interaction modalities (e.g., touch, tangibles, proxemics) as well as
classic ones. While the human is important throughout this work, we also
consider automatic methods to assist the interactive part.

In addition to solutions for individual problems, a major contribution of
this work is the overarching view of interaction in visualization as a
whole. This includes a critical discussion of interaction, the
identification of links between the key aspects of interaction, and the
formulation of research topics for future work with a focus on interaction.

This title is available online for institutional Synthesis subscribers at:

http://www.morganclaypool.com/doi/abs/10.2200/S00651ED1V01Y201506VIS003

Print and individual PDF copies are available directly from Morgan &
Claypool at:

http://store.morganclaypool.com/catalog_Orig/product_info.php?products_id=80
9

Please write to request review or desk copies today!

Brent Beckley
Direct Marketing Manager
Morgan & Claypool Publishers

---