[Infovis] treemap art at the NAS

Ben Shneiderman ben at cs.umd.edu
Wed Oct 8 19:43:17 CEST 2014

Dear InfoVis colleagues,
   I hope you might be able to join for this and invite you friends/colleagues... thanks... Ben

    I'm pleased to invite you to the opening reception for the Treemap Art Project at the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) in DC on Thursday October 16, 6-8pm, Keck Center, 500 Fifth St., N.W., Room 100:
     http://www.cpnas.org/events/daser-101614.html
These monthly events, DC Art Science Evening Rendezvous (DASER), are a great opportunity for interdisciplinary networking.

The panel discussion, led by the NAS Director of Cultural Programs, J. D. Talasek, features Jonah Brucker-Cohen, Jon Froehlich, and Manuel Lima who will discuss the intersection of art and science.  I'll do exhibit tours before and after for the 12 treemap art pieces:
     http://www.cpnas.org/exhibitions/archive/every-algorithm-has-art-in.html

I am pleased that this exhibit, which is elegantly framed and installed by the NAS, will remain on view till April 2015.  A second copy will go to curators for the collection of MOMA in NYC.  The 20-page catalog describes each of the 12 pieces (http://www.cpnas.org/exhibitions/archive/treemaps.pdf). You may want to see the essays by Manuel Lima and JD Talasek.

Even if you can't join, I hope you will enjoy the catalog and help spread the word to appropriate colleagues, email lists, blog post & twitter/facebook friends.

Here's the Treemap free application
    www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/treemap<http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/treemap>
And you can learn about their history at
   www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/treemap-history<http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/treemap-history>

         Sincerely... Ben

Prof. Ben Shneiderman          ben at cs.umd.edu<mailto:ben at cs.umd.edu>
Dept of Computer Science   301-405-2680
A.V. Williams Building             www.cs.umd.edu/~ben<http://www.cs.umd.edu/~ben>
University of Maryland          www.cs.umd.edu/hcil<http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil>
College Park, MD 20742        Twitter: @benbendc

Founding Director Human-Computer Interaction Lab
Glenn Martin Professor of Engineering
Member, Institute for Advanced Computer Studies
Member, National Academy of Engineering
Fellow AAAS, ACM, IEEE, SIGCHI Academy