[Infovis] CfP: DECISIVe: Dealing with Cognitive Biases in Visualisations - VisWeek workshop

Geoff Ellis ellis at dbvis.inf.uni-konstanz.de
Mon Aug 4 12:36:37 CEST 2014

----------
-
CfP: DECISIVe workshop on Dealing with Cognitive Biases in Visualisations

http://decisive-workshop.dbvis.de/

----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
-

This one-day workshop will be held as part of IEEE VIS 2014, in Paris, 9-14 November

IMPORTANT DATES

- Submission of extended abstract: 19th Sept
- Notifications of acceptance: 6th Oct

- Workshop day: 9/10th Nov (exact date to be confirmed)

SCOPE OF THE WORKSHOP
Our inherent reliance on mental shortcuts, or heuristics, sometimes results in deviations in judgment from what rational decision models would predict. These deviations are known as cognitive biases. Heuristics allow us to make “good enough” decisions without expending all of our cognitive effort on the task, however, in critical decision environments, “good enough” is often NOT good enough. Visualisation tools are increasingly adept at making sense of complex data, but researchers who study cognitive biases have come to realise that the quality of decisions made with these tools are often impaired because tool designers fail to address how heuristics and biases operate in a human-computer interactive setting. Despite decades of research on cognitive biases in controlled settings, there is yet no “recipe book” for experimentally-validated tools and techniques to avoid judgment biases when building tools for solving complex problems in the real world. As well as considering software mitigation solutions, we would also like to explore whether the way we visualise data is subject to cognitive biases.
We invite participants from a wide range of disciplines such as information visualisation, visual analytics, software engineering, cognitive psychology and decision science, as well as those close to end-user groups like intelligence analysts, to explore some of the ways in which biases impact user performance and share ideas and experiences about practical ways to reduce or overcome these potentially harmful effects.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
	▪	analytic techniques to mitigate cognitive biases
	▪	cognitive biases and information visualisation
	▪	integrating cognitive bias mitigation into existing software
	▪	measuring susceptibility to cognitive bias
	▪	empirical methods for investigating cognitive biases
	▪	cognitive biases in collaborative systems
	▪	new classification schemes for cognitive biases
	▪	persuasive technology
	▪	evaluation techniques/methodologies
	▪	survey/SOTA

The workshop will include invited talks, short individual presentations, panel sessions and group activities and will provide a forum for participants to exchange ideas and establish a roadmap of the state of the art and identify future research potential. We hope to grow this interdisciplinary community to promote future collaboration.

SUBMISSIONS

We invite authors to submit an extended abstract (about 2 pages) of either a position or technical paper. All submissions will be peer-reviewed and judged on the basis of originality, contribution to the field, and relevance to the workshop. Authors will then be invited to contribute to the workshop through individual presentations and to submit full papers, which will be published in the workshop proceedings. Further details will be given in due course.

CONTACT

For further details please contact Geoffrey Ellis, ellis at dbvis.inf.uni-konstanz.de

Twitter:  @DECISIVe_ws

website: http://decisive-workshop.dbvis.de/

ORGANISERS

Geoffrey Ellis, University of Konstanz, Germany

David Peebles, University of Huddersfield, UK

Donald Kretz, Raytheon, USA

Gaëlle Lortal, THALES Research & Technology, Paris