[Infovis] Workshop CFP: The Role of Theory in Information Visualization (VisWeek 2010)

Robert Kosara rkosara at uncc.edu
Wed Aug 25 21:43:14 CEST 2010

Information visualization is a very applied field that prides itself on
its practical applications and real-world scenarios. Ignoring the
theoretical side is dangerous, however, because it limits our ability to
distill useful information about the foundations of the field from the
practical work being done, and limits our understanding of how and why
our own creations work. The goal of this workshop at VisWeek 2010 is to
bring together researchers interested in the theoretical aspects of
visualization, define the field, discuss ideas and approaches, and get
the word out about the importance of theoretical research in information
visualization.

Topics include:

    * Perceptual research
    * Design studies
    * Ways of systematically exploring the visualization design space
    * Methodological work: how do we do our work, and how can we improve
      our processes?
    * Representation, structure, metaphors: how and why do we attach
      meaning to visual shapes?
    * Reference datasets and tasks

Also, how do we make it easier to publish this kind of work? What makes
for a good theory paper? Can a theory paper stand on its own, without an
application or immediate use? Etc.

The workshop will be based mostly on discussions. We invite speakers to
submit short (2-page) position statements. A small number of these will
be invited to give very brief (3-minute) presentations at the workshop.
The goal is not to present large bodies of work, but to have the
presentations spark discussions.

Deadline: *September 13, 2010
*
Submit your 2-page position paper by emailing it to
infovistheoryws at me.com <mailto:infovistheoryws at me.com>

For more information, a link to the formatting instructions, etc.,
please see http://eagereyes.org/infovis-theory-workshop

Robert Kosara
T.J. Jankun-Kelly
Chris Weaver