[Infovis] CFP - CSCW Workshop on Visualization of CSCW data, deadline Nov 20

Nathalie Henry nathalie.henry at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 23:59:25 CET 2009

*Have you been wrestling with CSCW data? *
*Do you have a visualization of use that could help you out? *
*Send us a two-pager and share your ideas!*
**
                                                                       *We
want you!*

**
* Visualization for Understanding CSCW Data: A CSCW 2010 Workshop*

CSCW systems can be very complex to understand and analyze. Users click in
various places, talk to each other, and collaboratively travel through
websites. Their work in these places can often be best understood through
data visualization: laying out the data visually can make sense of a great
deal of data. This workshop expands on ideas from past workshops that have
touched on visualization as a way of understanding data, including the CSCW
2004 Workshop on Social
Networks<http://projects.ischool.washington.edu/mcdonald/cscw04/>
.

The goal of this workshop is to gather people using visualizations to help
in analyzing and understanding collaborative behaviour with CSCW systems in
order to share and exchange tools and techniques, and collectively determine
the utility of these tools/techniques and how to disseminate these
tools/techniques in other venues to help other researchers gain access to
these analysis methods.

We solicit perspectives from a variety of CSCW authors and researchers who
have incorporated existing visualizations into their analyses, or have
created novel visualizations in order to understand their data.
Workshop Structure and Design

The workshop will commence with lightning (2-3 minute) introductions
intended to get participants to recognize each other and become refreshed on
each others’ work. The introductions will follow a prescribed format,
including slides shown from a central source sent in advance.

During the day, the workshop will focus on a series of topics based on the
submissions. We anticipate that topics may include issues of
*scale*(visualizations of large spaces, visualizations of small
groups);
*technologies* (custom-crated visualizations; use of existing techniques and
packages); and *axes *(mappings on geographical spaces; arbitrary spaces).
These will be determined by the organizers after the submissions are
evaluated. For each distinct topic, our goal is to collect, classify, and
organize the existing work, integrating visualizations to inform the wider
CSCW community of the broad range of visualizations available for their
analyses.

If participants’ interests are sufficiently different or if the workshop
attracts sufficient interest, we may break the participants into distinct
breakout groups.
Artefacts and results

The workshop will produce a poster to be presented at the CSCW poster
session, with samples of the participants’ visualizations, as well as
results of any organizing or taxonomizing that the participants may have
done, and resource lists that participants will have organized. We are
investigating publishing the results of the workshop as a special issue of a
journal.
Participation

In order to ensure intimacy, close interaction and fruitful results, we will
favor a small number of participants (16-22, including 2-3 student
participants and workshop organizers).

Two to three students (in addition to those who submit full workshop
position papers) will also be invited to participate. This will provide
students pursuing research in this area a unique opportunity to interact
with key researchers in the field and help define future directions.
Students will need to submit a one-page paper describing their interest in
the area of activity-centric groupware systems and their motivation for
wanting to participate.
What to Submit

Send short position paper (under 2000 words, PDF format) to
danyelf at microsoft.com. It should cover the following topics:

· *Interest & Experiences:** *a description of the your interest and past or
current experiences with visualizations designed to analyze CSCW data.

· *Insights and lessons learned:* a short discussion of your visualizations,
the insights you gained from using them as well as the lessons learned by
integrating visualizations in their analysis.

· *Workshop goals:** *your motivation for attending the workshop and the
goals you hope to achieve as a result of the workshop.

· *Bio:** *your current affiliation(s) and background.

We will review the position papers, recruiting additional reviewers as
needed.
Important Dates

   - *November 20, 2009* - Position papers due; submissions will be
   acknowledged by email
   - *December 11, 2009 *- Notification of acceptance
   - *January 8, 2010* - Final position papers due
   - *January 15, 2010* - Organizers distribute position papers and soapbox
   topics to all participants
   - *February 7, 2010 *- Workshop

 Organizers

*Danyel Fisher <http://research.microsoft.com/~danyelf>*, Microsoft Research