[Infovis] CFP: VisWeek Workshop: Putting Visualization on the Web

Robert Kosara rkosara at uncc.edu
Mon Jul 13 14:46:25 CEST 2009

Putting Visualization on the Web
Looking around the web, there are lots of pretty pictures, but very
little visualization. Why is that? What is holding us back? And what
can we do about it?

The workshop Putting Visualization on the Web will be held at VisWeek
2009 (Atlantic City, NJ, October 11-16). It will allow you to discuss
these (and other) questions, offer some directions, and hopefully
provide answers that will lead to a more lively and interesting online
visualization landscape.

Whether you have a blog or website, don't have a blog or website, plan
on starting one, are afraid of starting one, or think this whole web
thing is just a fad – we want to hear from you!

Blogging in academia is still a problem. How much do you want to talk
about your current research? How do you even start a blog and don't
get frustrated when nobody reads it for the first few months? How do
you find the time to do it?  What is the value of getting the word out
about your research? Will it hurt or help your tenure case?

We are looking for one-page position statements that tell us about
your experiences, provide ideas, or simply raise questions. These are
meant to be the starting points for the discussion at the workshop, so
we do not expect you to have everything figured out – quite the
opposite, actually.
If you care about the questions above (or related ones), submit a
position statement! If you have ideas or solutions, submit one! This
promises to be a highly interesting and engaging workshop, and we hope
to spur a wave of new visualization websites.

For more information and to submit your position paper, see: http://eagereyes.org/viswebworkshop.html

Robert Kosara (eagereyes.org)
Nathan Yau (FlowingData.com)
Andrew Vande Moere (infosthetics.com)