[Infovis] Ambient Information Systems 2008: Journal Special Issue and Submission Deadline Extension

William R. Hazlewood whazlewo at indiana.edu
Sun Jun 22 19:03:51 CEST 2008

****NEWS UPDATES****
We have been invited to contribute a special issue on Ambient
Information Systems in the International Journal of Ambient Computing
and Intelligence (IJACI). The authors of the best papers submitted to
AIS2008 will be invited to submit extensions to their papers in this
special issue. Both short and long papers will be considered for inclusion.

With this news in mind we have decided to extend the deadline for
submission by 2 weeks to the 11th June. The new CFP is below.

CFP: Workshop: Ambient Information Systems (AIS2008)
http://ambientinformation.org/
At Ubicomp 2008 (http://ubicomp.org/ubicomp2008/)
Sunday, September 21, 2008, COEX, Seoul, South Korea

Short work-in-progress papers (up to 4 pages), Long papers (up to 10 pages)
Demonstrators, designs, and artwork

*New Deadline: Submissions due: July 11th 2008 by 11:59pm PST
*
Authors of the best submitted papers will be invited to contribute to a
special issue on Ambient Information Systems in the International
Journal of Ambient Computing and Intelligence (IJACI).

OVERVIEW

Ambient Information Systems describe a large set of applications that
publish information in a highly non-intrusive manner, following on from
Mark Weiser's concept of calm technology. Building on the success of
AIS2007 at Pervasive 2007, this workshop will bring together researchers
working in the areas of ambient displays, peripheral displays, slow
technology, glanceable displays, and calm technology, to discuss and
collaborate on developing new design approaches for creating ambient
information systems. We are calling for paper submissions describing
early-stage and mature research on Ambient Information Systems and for
demonstrators across the spectrum from technology to art and design.

MOTIVATION

The current research in pervasive and ubiquitous computing suggests a
future in which we are surrounded by innumerable information sources all
competing for our attention. These technologies will manifest in novel
devices and as devices embedded in common objects such as refrigerators,
automobiles, toys, furniture, clothes, and possibly our own bodies.
While this vision of the future has prompted great advancements in
context-aware computing, wireless connectivity, multi-sensor platforms,
smart materials, and location-tracking technologies, there is a concern
that this proliferation of technology will increasingly overwhelm us
with information. Our belief is that information should move seamlessly
between the periphery and the center of one's attention, and that good
technology is highly transparent. We see ambient information systems as
a way to support these ideas.

Some work has already been done to create interesting ambient
information systems (e.g., AmbientDevices' Stock Orb, Koert van
Mensvoort's Datafountain, Jafarinami et al.'s Breakaway, Mynatt et al.'s
Audio Aura and Digital Family Portrait, and Mankoff et al.'s Daylight
Display and BusMobile). However, ambient information systems research is
fragmented, and suffering from a lack of consensus on terminology,
methodology, plausibility, and general agreement on how to think about
such technologies. We see this workshop as an opportunity for invited
participants to explore and discuss such issues.

OBJECTIVE

The workshop will be used as an opportunity to work as a group to
identify problems in the design, development, and evaluation of AIS and
to derive fundamental challenges of AIS research. Attendees should
develop a deeper understanding of the challenges that need to be
addressed and some potential solutions to the problems that have been
encountered by others. The group discussions throughout the workshop
will also be used to encourage new collaborations within the community.

We will publish the accepted submissions and slides on the workshop's
website upon receiving consent from the authors. The publication of
submissions to the website will not be considered official publications
and therefore will not prohibit attendees from developing their work
further and publishing it elsewhere. This will be made clear on the
website and on the online proceedings. After the workshop, the
organizers will contact relevant journals with the goal of producing a
special issue on ambient information systems containing extended
versions of the best papers from this workshop. The organizers will also
put together a document outlining the grand challenges for the field of
ambient information systems with a view to publishing either in the
special issue or as a stand-alone journal publication.
WORKSHOP TOPICS

The workshop topics are for the most part listed as a set of questions:

    * How are ambient information systems distinct from other
information technologies?
    * What are examples of useful heuristics, frameworks, taxonomies, or
design principles for the implementation of ambient information?
    * Should Ambient Information Systems move beyond the traditional
scope of vision; is there merit in Ambient Noise, Ambient Smells,
Tactile Ambience, and Ambient Taste?
    * How much ambient information can one perceive and comprehend?
    * What, if any, are the appropriate interaction methods for these
information devices?
    * Where should ambient systems be placed to improve their chances of
being used, without becoming distracting or annoying?
    * What sorts of information are best conveyed by an ambient display?
    * What are the appropriate methods for evaluating ambient
information systems, particularly those that are not necessarily task-based?
    * How do we describe the values of these particular technologies in
our everyday lives?
    * How can we make use of existing technologies? (e.g. smart
materials, wearable systems, etc.)
    * What knowledge from other domains should we apply? (e.g. from art,
cognitive science, design, psychology, sociology)

We are also particularly interested to hear about ambient information
systems in the following areas:

    * Resource Consumption, e.g., power, heat, water, food, and for
shared or personal resources
    * Work and workload "progress" (e.g., explicitly or implicitly
gathered data, or those based on a workflow)

If you have any topics you'd like to suggest please comment on the
topics list on the website: http://ambientinformation.org/topics/

WORKSHOP FORMAT

The workshop format will consist of a short presentation by each
participant, which should conclude with a problem statement describing a
possible grand challenge for research on ambient information systems.
These problem statements will be ordered, and the participants will
decide which are most relevant to future research on ambient information
systems. We will then break out into groups and discuss strategies for
addressing the selected topics.

SUBMISSIONS

We invite submissions including descriptions of works in progress,
research contributions, position statements, demonstrations, and vision
papers. Submissions should be whatever length is most appropriate for
the presented idea, but we ask that it be no longer than 10 pages in the
ACM SIGCHI Proceedings format (http://www.sigchi.org/chipubform/). Each
submission must conclude with a specific question regarding issues faced
conducting research in this domain.

Please send you submission in PDF format to:
submissions at ambientinformation.org
SPECIAL ISSUE OF IJACI

Authors of the best submitted papers will be invited to contribute to a
special issue on Ambient Information Systems in the International
Journal of Ambient Computing and Intelligence (IJACI) to appear later in
2008. Both short and long papers will be considered for inclusion.
DEADLINES AND DATES

Submissions due: July 11th 2008 by 11:59pm PST
Acceptance notifications by: July 25th 2008

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS

William R. Hazlewood (whazlewo at indiana.edu)
School of Informatics, Indiana University @ Bloomington

Lorcan Coyle (lorcan.coyle at ucd.ie)
Systems Research Group, University College Dublin

Youn-kyung Lim (younlim at gmail.com)
Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology

Zach Pousman (zach at cc.gatech.edu)
Georgia Institute of Technology

PROGRAM COMMITTEE (subject to additions)

Frank Bentley, Motorola Labs, USA
Jodi Forlizzi, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Steve Neely, University College Dublin, Ireland
Aaron Quigley, University College Dublin, Ireland
Albrecht Schmidt, Research Group Embedded Interaction, Germany
John Stasko, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
Erik Stolterman, Indiana University, USA
Martin Tomitsch, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Andrew Vande Moere, University of Sydney, Australia